INDIAN HANDICRAFT EXPORTS
The dynamism and growth of the Indian handicrafts industry is unparalleled – be it traditional Indian arts & crafts or a customized version of an art form for utility and use. As one of the largest employment generators for the Indian economy, the handicraft exports’ sector accounts for a significant share in the country’s exports as reported by EPCH.
PROVISIONAL FIGURES OF HANDICRAFT EXPORTS FROM EPCH
- The effective world market for handicraft exports from India stood at an impressive US $3048.42 million for 2014-2015.
- India’s handicraft exports to the world were estimated at a staggering US$ 3.5 billion in 2006, registering an annual growth rate of 10.8% since 2000.
- Mapping exports of Indian handicrafts for the last three decades clearly shows a steady increase in the volumes, thereby making it a full-fledged large scale organized industry
- After the adverse impact of the economic downtrend in 2008-2009, the export market for handicrafts has recovered in subsequent years with a relatively better growth rate of 14% as compared to the previous 12.5%
NEW UPDATED PROVISIONAL FIGURES OF HANDICRAFT EXPORTS
KEY MARKETS AND EXPORT DESTINATIONS
Indian handicrafts are exported across geographies, with the top destinations being the US (29.92%), UAE (12.73%), the UK (8.22%), and countries like Germany, France, the Netherlands, Canada, Australia, Italy and Latin American Countries catching up close.
The demand for these products depends on the overall economic climate of a country, which include key aspects like employment, disposable income and changes in spending patterns.
TRENDS OF HANDICRAFT EXPORTS FROM INDIA COMPARED TO TOTALS
The export trends of Indian handicrafts indicate that there has been an increase in export value of handicrafts (excluding carpets) as compared to the country’s overall export in almost all export markets for the last three decades. The competitive scenario and assessment leaves scope for market opportunities and developing sizeable niche market segments for handmade goods crafted by skilled artists which are in keeping with the latest fashion trends.
HANDICRAFT EXPORTS’ CATEGORIES WITH PRODUCTS COVERED
- WOODWARES: Boxes, Cutlery, Jewelry Cases, Wooden Racks, Table ware and Kitchen ware made from wood, Door stoppers and Decorative Wooden Sculptures
- ARTMETALWARES: Tableware , Kitchen ware, Statuettes and other Ornamental Articles of Copper, Silver, Brass, Pewter
- HANDPRINTED TEXTILES & SCARVES: Wall hangings, Tapestries, Cushion Covers, Scarves using different types of hand-printed textiles include Kalamkari, Tie and Dye, Block Printing, Ikat, etc
- EMBROIDERED & CROCHETED GOODS: Embroidered, Knitted, Crocheted Clothing, Furnishings, Bags and Baskets, Table Linen and Placemats using Parsi work, Kashmiri work, Phulkari work, Chikankari, etc
- ZARI & ZARI GOODS: The word ‘Zardozi‘ is made up of two Persian terms, Zar meaning gold and Dozi meaning embroidery.
- IMITATION JEWELRY: Imitation jewelry of base metal, faux stones, oxidized-silver, beaded jewelry with semi-precious stones and pearls
- SHAWLS AS ARTWARE: Pashm or Pashmina and Aari-work Shawls
- MISCELLANEOUS CRAFTS: Handmade Paper Crafts, paperboard, decorative articles of paper like collages, decorative plaques and greeting cards
NOTE: You can embed this infographic without any alteration on your own website but with due credit and a link-back to SouvNear.com.